A Few Ways To Know Your Customers Better
- Call your customers, ask what you can do to help them
- Email your customers
- Visit your customers at their business
- Meet your customers at a local meetup or at a seminar
Here Is One Way
Survey your customers.
Ask them questions and save that information.
I will show you how I survey customers so you can get some ideas on what is possible.
This is not for everyone. People who will get the most value are:
- you do most or a lot of your business online
- you have a mailing list of customers and prospects
- you have a “sophisticated” email autoresponder system that allows you to add tags or merge fields
- you can handle tech stuff or can hire it out
What you get in return is a rich understanding of your customers’ wants and desires.
The work flow looks like this.
1) Decide what you want to know about your customers. My suggestion is to ask questions that quantify and qualify. For example, you might ask someone questions like the following.
How much weight do you want to lose (quantity)?
When do you want to lose that weight by (quantity)?
What is your biggest struggle with losing weight (quality)?
2) Group your customers based on their responses. And by group, I mean “tag” in your autoresponder system.
You might create a group based on how much weight loss they want to achieve. 0 – 5 lbs is one group, 5 – 15 lbs is another group, 15 – 30 lbs is another group, more than 30 lbs would be a fourth group.
Another group would be how much time till they lose the weight. 0 – 1 month is one group, 2 – 6 month is another group, 6 – 12 months is another group, more than 12 months is another group.
One suggestion is to NOT go overboard with the amount of groups you have. Think 80 / 20 here. Go for the big groups.
3) Whenever you communicate with your customers, address what is important to them.
For instance, your messaging to the group of people that want to lose 0 – 5 lbs in the next month might be different than what you say to someone looking to lose more than 30 lbs. in the next 6 – 12 months.
This 2 minute video shows (1) how you might message different groups and (2) a live survey that id tied in with an autoresponder.